Friday, 29 January 2016

The season after the one before



Hello my dear friends,

First and foremost, apologies for the lengthy delay in putting up another update on how life has been going and what I have been up to. I am not the greatest at relational communication in terms of social media but it is an area that I have been growing in!

Since my last update, much has happened in my time here in the United States. Travelling to the east coast, encountering
snow for the first time, making new friends and trying Chic-Fil-A are just a few of the pleasures I've had since entering the USA.


Fluffy white goodness!
This is also my first official time being in a place that snows as, where I originate from in Townsville, it is always quite warm--around 27C/80F to 33C/90F (and often higher)--so snow is simply not possible. On the bright side, I can say that I have officially made a snow angel on a frozen lake! It took a bit, but I am now quite accustomed to ice, snow, and cold weather, and I can honestly say that I am enjoying being in a cooler climate!


Here is an update from my new home here in Madison, Wisconsin (If you are interested in knowing EXACTLY where I am, here are my geographical co-ordinates: 43°04'33.7"N 89°23'44.0"W). Here at the Phos we have a combination of both students (International and US) and YWAM staff that make up the residents of the house. With all the different cultures and backgrounds, the house makes for an interesting and quite enjoyable atmosphere in which to study, learn, and live.  Altogether there are around 6 live in YWAM staff with another 4 that live off campus that also join us for our day to day activities. The number of students that live here vary from semester to semester depending on how long they are either in the country for or the length of their uni course. Just this past semester we had two of our residents leave the Phos house. Sarena, who has returned home to Taiwan after spending a semester here at the University of Wisconsin as an exchange student, and Drew, a Korean brother of three who has journeyed to Perth, Australia to do a DTS with the YWAM base there.


Mendota before the cold hit...
For my first official Christmas here in the United States I was expecting, and kind of hoping, that it would be like the "white Christmas" that usually takes place in all of the movies. However, this was not the case. With El NiƱo sweeping across the majority of North America, the temperature and all around weather patterns have been rubber banding rather dramatically. For instance, on Christmas day in Pennsylvania, the only "white" that I witnessed was the fog surrounding the neighborhood and nearby foothills. Only a few weeks after I left there, though, a huge snowstorm hit that very same area--the dreaded "snowpocalypse". I have experienced similar weather fluxes here in Madison with the temperatures plummeting and then returning to normal within a few days. Also, side note: one of the reasons why Madison is colder in general is due to the three major lakes that decorate this town; Lake Waubesa, Lake Monona, and, the largest (and closest to Phos house, only a stones throw away!) of the three, Lake Mendota.


Mendota after the cold hit...
I joined in here at Phos about half way through the last semester, so I was not entirely integrated by the time it ended. I did, however, incorporate myself into a few groups and events. A few days out of the week I would ride thirty minutes across Madison to the Global Missions Center (GMC) to prepare lunch for the second tier Bible school they were running. The rest of the week, I would join in with life at our campus ministry at Phos, doing work duties with the students and other staff, engaging in one of the few small groups that were being hosted by the staff, or simply living life with the residents in the house. 


Displaying WP_20151103_14_36_03_Pro.jpg
Displaying WP_20151103_14_36_03_Pro.jpg
As some of you beautiful people may already know, Anna recently moved here to join in with life at the Phos house to be a part of YWAM Madison. For the full scoop on what is happening from Anna's point of view, take a read of her latest update here.


As the new semester begins and schedules change, it seems that my days now have a sudden influx of free time that I was not anticipating. This is where I would like to take the time to invite you to journey with me as I choose a new hobby to pick up this semester, and possibly even from here on in life. I would of course be playing soccer and futsal, but it's rather icy right now which tends to turn alot of people off heading outside to play some sports. As of right now I have three activities in front of me which I am thinking of pursuing and would like to get your opinion on which you think I should choose. 1) - Acoustic guitar. 2) - Artistic Drawing. 3) - Creative Writing. Out of all the potential hobbies that I could undertake, these are the three in which I have already got some experience under my belt and would naturally be easier to pick up, rather than starting from scratch with something new. Feel free to comment below with what you think is a good idea and why. 

Mike and I getting ready for a cold night of volunteer work.
My new roommate, Mike, who in fact did the same YWAM course as Anna in Townsville (which is where all three of us met, and we are all now living in Phos house. Small world.), lives close to Madison and is connected with the local churches and community. Once a month Mike goes back to his home town of Fond Du Lac and volunteers at a food pantry to help engage with the community and embody the humble heart that Jesus wishes for all of us to have. I have recently joined Mike in his monthly endeavor at the food pantry and as a blessing to being able to help others, I also am able to acquire some of the food that has been so generously donated to the pantry. This is a huge blessing for me as I am only being supported at this point by my fellow friends and family that have chosen to rally behind me and the cause that Jesus has called me to. 


Lastly, I'd like to be open with you about a couple of things. First, as I am a missionary here at YWAM and am on a visa that does not allow me to work, I do need financial support to live a sustainable life. If you would like to consider journeying and partnering with me as I continue my life in full-time missions, I've added a "Donate Button" to the top of my blog page. Second, I need prayer support as I am on the other side of the world living for Jesus here. I would like to request prayer specifically for the Lord to reveal His vision and plan for my life here in the upcoming months. I have a great passion for missions work and a desire to reach unreached peoples and become immersed in their cultures, but need to know how He wants me to go about it. Thanks so much, friends! God Bless!


Aaron.



Ecclesiastes 5:1-2


1 comment:

Take a look at some of the work going on at YWAM Madison!